Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Business is the art of getting people where they need to be, faster than they would get there without you.


This one, from my old buddy Hugh MacLeod: "Business isn't conceptual rocket science. It's about making money, trading goods and services and basically getting stuff done. In spite of that, it's still something that confounds a lot of people. How do other people make money? Why are some people rich and other people poor? Why am I poor when I work so hard every day? I've done my fair share of wondering about all this.That's what this cartoon is about. What can YOU do about not only your journey, but the journeys of others. The latter seems more interesting, somehow..." This week I had the opportunity to write a client about what I could do for him - because what he was asking for isn't what he needs and it's not going to help him, so wrote to him about where he needed to be and how I could help him get there. I was once told to never tell a client what could not be done - but rather what could be, how long it would take and how much it would cost - so that's what I did, because it was the responsible business thing to do.



D a v i d E v e r i t t - C a r l s o n
-------------------------------------------------
Find me on TwitterFacebook or LinkedIn. Read my previous blog: The Wild Wild East Dailies.


No comments:

Post a Comment


D a v i d E v e r i t t - C a r l s o n
-------------------------------------------------
Find me on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn. Read my previous blog: The Wild Wild East Dailies.