Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"Wow. I am so impressed. It’s genius." - client

"Wow. I am so impressed. It’s genius. I feel like I am taking advantage of you since your writing is clearly worth more than we are paying. But you probably did that in your sleep…" - the client

Funny how things work out. I had spent the past two months trying to sell the exact same type of work to a local magazine and all I got from them was rubbish. Where that client wanted to jack around, had no business plan, no editorial plan, no marketing plan and in the end, no money - another client was receptive, had a solid plan for growth, gave me a solid brief with specific tasks spelled out and paid immediately upon receipt, the same rate incidentally as the disorganized and unfocussed client had proposed - all for a whole lot less crap. So the lesson here was a pretty old one.  As my prior boss, Ron Fisher, once said, "If you can't make the judges like your work, maybe you need to find better judges". Comments like the above are relatively rare in any business but always better received and always better as motivation all around - no matter what the rate of pay.



D a v i d E v e r i t t - C a r l s o n
-------------------------------------------------
Find me on TwitterFacebook or LinkedIn. Read my previous blog: The Wild Wild East Dailies.

No comments:

Post a Comment


D a v i d E v e r i t t - C a r l s o n
-------------------------------------------------
Find me on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn. Read my previous blog: The Wild Wild East Dailies.